If you need a more accessible version of this website, click this button on the right. Switch to Accessible Site


You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Close [x]

crutches.jpgWhat if I'm injured at work, or if I feel like something has made me sick? What do I do first?

  1. Promptly report the injury to your employer/supervisor right away or go immediately to the first aid station if the supervisor is not immediately available. Make sure someone alerts your supervisor. If you require medical attention beyond first aid, or you've missed any time from work, your employer has 72 hours to report the injury to WSIB.
  2. Tell your supervisor if you develop any illness or condition (like a skin rash or burning eyes) that you believe happened because of something you were exposed to or were doing at work.
  3. If you have to leave the workplace and go to the hospital or doctor's office, your employer will pay for wages for the day of the injury.
  4. You are required to file a claim with the WSIB as soon as possible after an accident. If you lose wages or require health care treatment because of the injury or illness, your boss must also file a claim (it's called a Form 7) with the WSIB. If you are less than 16 years old, a parent or guardian will have to sign part of the form.

What do I do next?

  1. Receive prompt, necessary treatment of your injuries from a chiropractor, at a hospital or from a private medical clinic.
  2. You may select any health care provider you wish for your next treatment. If the first health care provider is a chiropractor, then WSIB will pay for the treatments, but there are strict guidelines for the type and length of such treatment.
  3. You cannot change to another health care provider without the approval of WSIB.
  4. Promptly tell your primary health care practitioner that you've been injured at work. (Note: Chiropractors are designated as primary health care practitioners, meaning a medical referral note is not necessary to be examined and treated in our office.)

What happens next?

  1. A report (called a Form 8) will be completed by both yourself and Dr. Pisarek and faxed by our office to WSIB. Don't worry - we will walk you through any paperwork that you have to fill out for WSIB.
  2. After WSIB has been notified of your injury from your employer/health care provider, your claim will be registered and an adjudicator will be assigned to your case. They will contact you directly.
  3. You have to follow all instructions from the WSIB, fill out all forms promptly and cooperate in your health care treatment and safe return to work.
  4. Your chiropractor must send regular reports to WSIB, usually every two weeks.

How Long Does WSIB Pay for a Chiropractor?

  1. Chiropractic treatments are usually allowed for the first twelve weeks after an injury. WSIB health care staff will decide how long the treatments should last beyond the twelve-week period.
  2. If your chiropractor believes you need more than twelve weeks of treatment, after about eight weeks he or she should write to WSIB to request approval for additional treatment. In the letter to WSIB, your chiropractor should describe how the treatment has improved your condition and explain why additional treatment is necessary.

What to do if my claim is denied?

  1. If for some reason your claim is denied by the WSIB, you have the right to appeal within six months of the date of the WSIB decision. Because appeals involving chiropractic treatment are usually quite straightforward, you may wish to pursue them on you own. Contact your WSIB adjudicator for assistance with your appeal.
  2. For more information, visit the "Employee" section of the WSIB website at: http://www.wsib.on.ca/wsib/wsibsite.nsf/public/Workers. In particular, read the following: http://www.wsib.on.ca/wsib/wsibsite.nsf/LookupFiles/DownloadableFileWSISGuide/$File/3576AWSIS.pdf .

What can happen if an injury isn't reported?

Under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, if either you or your employer delays or fails to report a work-related injury or illness, you may be ineligible to receive any money in compensation and your employer may be fined by the WSIB.

THIS ---->https://advancedhealth.chiromatrixbase.com/conditions/work-injuries/what-to-do-first-.html

Office Hours

Monday8am - NN2pm - 6pm
TuesdayBy ApptBy Appt
Wednesday8am - NN2pm - 6pm
ThursdayBy Appt2pm - 6pm
Friday8am - NNBy Appt
SaturdayBy ApptBy Appt
SundayBy ApptBy Appt
Day Morning Afternoon
Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
8am - NN By Appt 8am - NN By Appt 8am - NN By Appt By Appt
2pm - 6pm By Appt 2pm - 6pm 2pm - 6pm By Appt By Appt By Appt


I have been a patient of Dr. Pisarek for a few years now. Every morning I have to say "thank you Dr. P.!". Your care and your treatment renew my energy... no more pains in my lower back, knee and foot. With your help I lost 20 pounds and I am keeping it off. I am really grateful to you and your wife Hilda for taking care of me. My retirement got a new meaning, thanks to you.

Eva Horazdovska
Toronto, ON

Newsletter Sign Up