Green policies may not be the first thing you
think of when choosing a clinic. In fact, they are not the first thing we think
of either - your care is. Green health care represents the cutting edge of
technology combined with earth friendly practices to maximize the patient
experience. At Advanced Healthcare, we recognize that we have many
opportunities to be 'eco' (ecologically) friendly without compromising your
We believe that just as with the daily decisions that impact your health, even small environmentally conscious decisions can add up to a meaningful positive change. Our green initiatives and plans aim to provide your healthcare in a way that is best for you and the planet.
Our current initiative and future plan include:
- Offering hands-on health care may reduce the need for other forms of care that create biomedical waste.
- We use 100% recycled paper for all our everyday printing whenever possible.
- All single-sided paper is reused, with the exception of paper containing confidential client or business information which is shredded.
- Recycling of all non-PIPEDA (Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act) materials.
- Digitized standard administrative forms to reduce paper consumption.
- Utilizing on-line electronic billing and computerized scheduling to reduce paper consumption.
- We clean our office using only people with environment-friendly cleaning products.
We purchase 100% or partially recycled paper towels, toilet paper, facial tissues and other supplies, and we do so in bulk quantities to reduce packaging. Utilize printing strategies such as double-sided printing, to reduce paper consumption. Minimize electricity consumption by utilizing high efficiency light bulbs and ballasts. Minimize electricity consumption by utilizing fans for cooling, and a programmable thermostat for when fans are inadequate to insure that our building isn't heated or cooled unnecessarily. Making walking or riding a bus or bike a viable option to our patients. Minimize electricity consumption by turning machines off during break periods or prior to leaving for the day, and utilizing a timer for exterior lighting. Our location on Sheppard Ave. East along the Sheppard Ave. East TTC bus and subway line, ensures that public transit is a viable option for our patients. Utilize conference-call and e-mail communications for meetings when possible. Provide reusable ice and heat packs in order to reduce the need for disposable packs.
Perhaps most importantly, we are always consciously looking for new ways to green our process. As high quality new, greener technology becomes available in healthcare, we envision being early-adapters in the utilization of these practices. We expect these will also include:
- The adoption of digital notes to reduce paper consumption.
- The adoption of paperless fax technology to reduce paper consumption.
We encourage all businesses and health care providers to follow our example. If you have any suggestions, please let us know. We'd love to hear from you!