Although chiropractors main method of treatment typically consists of the spinal adjustment (spinal manipulation), chiropractors also employ many adjunctive therapies and applications in order to provide the most effective and efficient relief from neuromusculoskeletal disorders.
The following is a list of some of these adjunctive therapies. At the bottom of this webpage is further information to view.
1. Soft Tissue & Massage Therapy:
There are a number of soft tissue therapy techniques which can be successfully employed to assist in the reduction of pain and muscle hypertonicity and spasm. Some of these include massage therapy, trigger point therapy, somatic therapy, proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation, acupressure point therapy, and rolfing. The need and benefits of these therapies vary from patient to patient. Depending on your condition and response to treatment we may incorporate one or more of these therapies into your treatment plan.
2. Therapeutic Exercise:
- Exercise For Life: Exercise is essential for a long, healthy and vibrant life. It has been scientifically shown to increase health by lowering blood cholesterol levels, strengthening the immune system, lowering body fat, increasing one's sense of well being, and increasing muscle strength, tone and function. Chiropractors understand the importance of exercise and the essential role it plays in health. We encourage all patients to participate in physical activities which promote cardiovascular health and can assist you finding the right activity. We do recommend those over the age of 40 or those with known health problems to consult our office prior to initiating any exercise regimen.
- Exercise For Injuries: Therapeutic exercises for the neck, back, and extremities are an essential part of the rehabilitative process following injury. Chiropractic doctors commonly prescribe specific strengthening and stabilizing exercises and stretches for their patients with back, neck and extremity problems. Exercises provide many benefits during the healing and preventative stages. Early on, exercise prevents muscle deterioration and promotes joint health. Later on, exercises increase strength, proprioception and stability to protect from new injuries and recurrences of past problems.
- Therapeutic Stretches: Therapeutic stretching is important to prevent scar tissue and adhesion formation following injury. Stretching is most effective when initiated early on in the treatment plan before scar tissues become permanent. Maintaining a regular stretching program once the rehabilitation stage of treatment has been completed will help keep tissues flexible and loose, increasing mobility and preventing the development of new injuries.
3. Physical Modalities:
There are some physical modalities which in certain cases can provide additional pain relief and accelerated healing. Some of these more common modalities include muscle stimulation, interferential stimulation, low-level laser therapy, therapeutic ultrasound, and diathermy (deep heating modality).
4. Employee Health Training & Education:
Employee health training and education is aimed at reducing work-related injuries. Optimal workstation setup, the employment of ergonomics, training of proper lifting techniques, adequate physical conditioning and the employment of appropriate safety precautions all play important roles in employee health, work injury prevention, and employee satisfaction.
Part of any successful and effective treatment plan should address these issues.
Please contact our office if you have sustained a work-related injury or if you are interested in learning how to best protect yourself or your employees while in the work environment
5. Diet & Nutritional Counselling:
Dietary and nutritional imbalances are responsible for and contribute to a great number of disorders and illnesses which are prevalent in today's society. The top killers such as heart disease, stroke, diabetes and cancer have all been linked in numerous ways to diet and nutrition.
Doctors of chiropractic receive thorough training in the areas of human diet and nutrition. We can design a personalized dietary or nutritional program to minimize the risk of developing these killer conditions and to assist your body in achieving and maintaining optimal health and superior wellness.
Dr. Pisarek encourages his patients on the ChiroThin™ Lifestyle Program to aim for a healthy weight. A healthy weight results in increased quality of life through activity levels. A healthy weight decreases the risk for many major health problems, common disease and illnesses and also results in a better self-image and increased self-confidence which ultimately boosts productivity at work, yielding a more happier and satisfying personal and family life.
6. Lifestyle Modification Counseling:
Good health is much more than the absence of pain or discomfort. Health exists along a very wide scale and where you lie on that scale largely depends on the lifestyle choices you make on a daily basis. Years of many small unhealthy choices can manifest into very serious health problems. Unhealthy choices include habitual poor posture, improper lifting techniques, excessive alcohol consumption, smoking, excessive reliance on medication, excessive soda and coffee consumption, excessive saturated fat consumption, lack of nutritious fruits and vegetables, and excessive mental stress. These slowly chip away at your good health. We can help you sort through and identify those unhealthy decisions and provide you with practical strategies to deal with and effectively manage them.
Click here for article: "Chiropractic Therapies".