Forget painkillers! Chiropractic can provide safe, long-term solutions to Headache and Migraine Sufferers...
- Chiropractic care for such conditions has been proven safe, with far less possible side effects when compared with aspirin and other common painkillers.
- Nearly everyone suffers with occasional headaches,
- For about 20% of the population, these headaches are chronic or recurrent.
- Every year, millions of pounds are spent on painkillers for headaches and still more and more people join the group of chronic sufferers
- The World Health Organization (WHO) has defined the structures responsible for headaches and migraines to include the neck, the scalp muscles and vessels, and the brain covering sheath.
- According to a study carried out in North America, Europe and Australia
approximately 10% of all chiropractic patients attend for the treatment of headaches
- The most common causes of headache are dysfunction of the joints in the neck, physical trauma, emotional stress, nutritional imbalance, dehydration and visual strain. These are all common benign conditions that are easily recognized and treated. However in rare cases, headaches and migraines can be a sign of a more serious problem.
The most common types of headaches include:
1. Migraine Headache- caused by the narrowing and expanding of blood vessels in the skull;
2. Tension Headache - caused by cramps or spasm in muscles surrounding the skul;
3. Neck (cervicogenic) Headache - where problems with the joints and muscles of the neck refer pain into the head;
4. Sinus Headache - caused by some other condition, usually sinus congestion or a sinus infection (sinusitis).
What does treatment involve?
Chiropractic has been shown to effectively help reduce the severity, frequency and duration of headaches.
Unlike pain killing drugs, we treat the cause of the pain not just the pain itself. We will carry out a detailed consultation and physical examination (including x-rays if necessary) and ask you detailed questions about your medical history and lifestyle, to discover the probable cause of your headaches.
At Advanced Healthcare, once the diagnosis has been made, Dr. Pisarek will use a variety of specific and basically painless manipulation or adjustment techniques in order to mobilize (free) the neck joints; stretch, relax and strengthen the neck muscles; and remove spinal nerve irritation. He may also incorporate various physiotherapy modalities including the effective use of low-level laser therapy (LLLT) and electro-acupuncture stimulation for pain and anti-inflammatory management. Also, stretching and muscle strengthening exercises along with nutritional advice including lifestyle modification will be part of the treatment program plan.
We recommend that you undergo a trial treatment program. The minimum number of sessions required varies from patient to patient depending on their presenting case history.
Some patients enjoy almost immediate relief, while others notice a gradual easing of their symptoms over a period of several weeks. This will all depend on the nature and chronicity of the patient's specific headache problem.
Call Dr. Pisarek now at (416) 633-3000 to schedule an appointment to make your headache suffering "a thing of the past"!